Thursday, August 11, 2011

Small steps in the right direction :)

Day three--and day two...I didn't blog yesterday the Internet at work was down...sorry Julie :)--are much like day three and two of a work out program.  Day one you are jazzed, you have your new work out gear on, Janet Jackson is blaring in your ears "Control", and as you are sweating bullets on the treadmill you realize "this isn't really that hard! Why didn't I start this sooner?!  I will be a size 4 in no time!!"  Day 2 you are a little tired, but still psyched at the prospect of shedding pounds and being able to soon frolic on the beach in your smallest of bikinis like something straight out of a Victoria's Secret swimsuit catalog.  Day three is a whole different kettle of fish.  Day three you wake up and you can hardly move.  The simple task of squatting to sit on the toilet forces involuntary audible groans that you didn't even know were possible to make.  The idea of walking to the fridge for ice to numb your throbbing muscles is out of the question let alone getting back on a treadmill.  Eff that noise.  So most often you end up succumbing to the comfort of your couch, some sea salt and vinegar chips, and a Law and Order SVU marathon cause if Stabler doesn't make you feel better then nothing will!  Day three of my adventure toward career bliss is much like that.  The glorious optimism of Tuesday while not gone, has been muddied a little by the reality of what to do next.  Ahhh that next step.  It is easy to sit in my office chair and dream of doing something other then sitting in this pit of hell, yet it is entirely different to actually DO something.  However, now that I have declared this quest begun...begin I shall. 

I spent yesterday, before the great Internet crash of 2:30pm, searching online for classes to become a certified Pilates instructor.  Let me back up a bit...the idea of becoming a Pilates instructor started with my love for dance, more specifically, my love for ballet.  I spent the first half of my life in ballet classes surrounded by music, dance, and all of the loveliness that comes with ballerinas.  To say I was obsessed with dancing is like saying that Frank Sinatra was a good singer...HUGE understatement.  If one was to look back at me 10 years ago they would have sworn that by this time I would have done something with my life that would ensure that every breathing moment of every day I would be surrounded by dance.  However several events in my life pushed me off that track and instead I got on the train to a life that has as much to do with dance as it does building rocket ships.  I had lost my way.  So when I was thinking about this project and where I wanted to end up in a year I immediately thought of dance.  I have been a ballerina, I have been a ballet teacher, and while one day I would love to get back into both of those things something that is connected to both of those careers is Pilates.  A skilled dancer without Pilates is like cake without frosting...you can have cake without frosting but why when the frosting makes it so much better?  So I set my sights on becoming a certified Pilates instructor in hopes that it will not only give me a create avenue to fulfill my craving for a better life but also bring me closer to dance again. 

As I stared wide-eyed at the Google homepage I typed in my first search: Certified Pilates Instructor and I felt a zing of excitement.  I am really going to do this!  I am really going to change my life!  That excitement came to a screeching halt when I found the perfect school and course all for the perfect price of $4,000 dollars.  Now 4,000 bones doesn't sound so bad especially when compared to the $35,000 dollars I owe the government for my stellar Sociology degree...however I don't happen to have $4,000 dollars keeping itself warm in my bank account at the moment.  Shocking I know.  So while that was a little saddening I kept my chin up (nod to Amanda) and I instead searched for a smaller class with a smaller price tag.  The dreary clouds of defeat parted and the sun shown through as if sent by the ballerina gods straight to me.  A short 5 day dancer specific course in January in LA for the fancy price of 1,000 dollars!!!  While that is not exactly peanuts that is much more plausible then $4,000 dollars and it is a step in the right direction!!  So I have until January to save up $1,000 dollars to attend this course. Baby steps, but hey its a start. 

Tally-ho!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog Hattie!!!! Keep up the small steps and momentum because I bet a year from now you're gonna have it all. So glad you're writing because you are so good at it and it's a joy to read :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete