Thursday, August 18, 2011

I love the smell of bleach in the morning...it smells like victory!

I think the best way for me to think through things, to sort out choices and to make decisions is to deep clean.  I am often teased about my OCD way of cleaning and organizing (which I have learned to embrace and take pride in) and so last night when my brother asked for some help cleaning and organizing his apartment I was all too eager to jump at the task.  His apartment is a typical man's cave and other then the gargoyle like tiger's head that serves as a beer bottle opener (a must have in bachelor pads I am told) there was nothing hanging on the walls.  Like a whirling dervish I attacked the house with hammers and nails and bleach.  After about 3 hours it started to look like a home, granted it was a boys home and where paintings of wine bottles hang in my house a metal Jack Daniels decal hangs in his, but that is neither here nor there.  It looks great.  We had a great time laughing and joking while we cleaned and I could see a sense of pride on his face as we hung up the last item and stepped back to admire his ability to hang it completely straight the first time without a level...I lack that ability...severely.  When I hang a picture I need about 5 different tools to make it placed right and level and even then I usually am hiding a graveyard of holes behind each photo I put up....shhhhh.  I thought on my drive home how much it made me happy to assist him in his effort to make his house more comfortable, more lived in.  Despite being sweaty and dirty and smelling like bleach and god only knows what else I was happy.  Happy to help and happy to be asked for help :)  Sometimes all you need is a good night of deep cleaning to set things right in the world...oh and wine...you must have wine, and I had wine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment