Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Listen to the rhythm of the pouring rain....

It is October 5th now, and for those of you that read my last posting about the reoccurring dreams that I have be REST ASSURED I had all of my Halloween decorations displayed in all of their glory by noon on October 1st.  **Huge sigh of relief felt around the world**  Naturally, as with every year, I feel like I need (not want...need) more decorations as it doesn't really feel like Halloween threw up all over my house yet...and I stress yet.  This is the beginning of my favorite season.  The cold weather...which in reality it never gets cold in Santa Barbara...however if that thermometer even THINKS about dipping below 60 degrees you will see folks around here dressed up like a freaking Thomas Kinkade Winter Wonderland painting...no joke.  I can't wait for it to get "cold" so I can dust off the ol dutch oven and my trusty crock pot and fill my house with the delectable scents of fall time comfort foods!!

I woke up in the middle of the night last night to the sound of pouring rain and I immediately thought it couldn't have come at a better time.  Rain forces us to slow down our normal day-to-day and encourages us to head inside, cuddle up with some hot cocoa or a large glass of red wine (juuust sayin), and reflect on life (or in my case watch Law and Order SVU marathon).  Gloomy weather also feeds a ravenous desire in me to cook something comforting, something warm, and something that has nothing to do with healthy or leafy.  No sir it does not.  We are talking potatoes, meat, lots of "sauciness" to sop up with (Atkins dieters beware!!!)  HUGE pieces of crusty bread!!  Ohhh my mouth waters just thinking about it.  I love the idea candles lit everywhere, Frank Sinatra blaring on Pandora, bottles of wine being opened (oh how I love that popping sound!), and a gaggle of ladies standing around my kitchen as a large pot of meaty, potato-y, goodness bubbles away on my stove.  As I have said before this is my season, this is my favorite time of year. 

This weekend I have planned to make my inaugural roast of the season, and if I can remember to take pictures of it before it gets devoured...last time I remembered as I scraped the last bit of gravy off of my plate...I will take pictures!  Less to show you my cooking skills **breaths on finger nails and polishes them on sweater** and more to brag about a belly full of amazing meat and potatoes!  **Rubs belly with satisfied grin on face**  (ok that one went too far......)

No comments:

Post a Comment