Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Don't drink the water.....

Don't drink the water!  It is making everyone pregnant!!! 

For a while now it seems not a day goes by when another friend of mine announces they are pregnant.  Each time I am met with the same inner response of:  REALLY?  Why in the hell are you having a baby?!  Then I remind myself that I am not 14 anymore and it is perfectly acceptable for women my age (remember...30...rockets...warp speed ahead...ya I knew you would remember).  I love baby showers (but not dry ones, not all of us should have to suffer and be sober), I love the smell of babies, their cuteness, the idea of a new life, I love it all.  Just.not.for.me.  In fact when I even think about the idea of having a baby I imagine myself running down a dark hallway in an abandoned building, arms flailing, tripping over my own feet--which by the way you never do when you are running normally, but it seems to ALWAYS happen when you are running from something scary...like pregnancy...ok just go with me on this one.  So I am always running from it, sweating, and tripping, and I just get away by hiding in some rusty filing cabinet (how I fit in there is neither here or there, it is a nightmare and crazy stuff just works in a nightmare).  When I was a kid, or even a few years ago, I would have never thought that I would come to the conclusion that I don't want children.  The way most little girls are raised--intentionally or not--it is part of being a woman.  We grow up to get married and have families.  I don't remember once, not once, someone telling me when I was younger "you don't have to have babies and get married".  Not once.  Funny because it is totally ok.  Not every woman has to get married and not every woman has to have children.  I am totally content with being "Auntie Hattie" to every precious little bundle that all of my friends have (and at this pace they are having like rabbits :D ).  Auntie Hattie with her ever full glass of wine, her kitty cat hair covered sweater, and her quick ability to give you a kiss or a stern slap on the ass...which ever is needed at that moment :}  I thank all of the ladies out there that are taking one for this crazy cat lady and populating the world with precious babies so I can have more cats...and drink more wine.  Cheers to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment